View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 11:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

As the others are saying, it all really depends on what you want, both from the collection, and sometime later when you're done with it.

I like SGCs holders too. But I have cards in a few different holders, and the vast majority of my cards are raw.

If you know the sets well, and can handle a bit of risk - how much risk depends on the venue, in person buys are less risky than ebay- I'd say go with ungraded, or go with a card you like no matter the holder. That's barring the really questionable holders of course.

If you want or need confidence as a buyer, then buying cards from any of the three major companies should be fine.

PSA will probably always sell for more as long as the registry competition thing is still popular. People will pay more for higher grade cards, and that raises the price of lower grade cards. The good thing is you'll get back more if you sell later. The downside is that you'll pay more now.

SGC is good for the holders, but while I'm a fan I'm not liking the direction they've gone lately. I think there are some bargains to be had, and if they get worse, maybe some really great deals if the cards cross at all.

Beckett is ok, I don't know all that much about them as graders. I see a pretty wide range of apparent grades for the same number, but I mostly look at prewar which isn't their specialty.

Steve B