View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 07:28 PM
M0rrie Mu||ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Shenker View Post
If you leave 100.00 in the bank at 1 percent a year. You get 1 dollar at the end of the year.

If you get enough of a percentage to make retaining a fraction of your shipping charge a seriously profitable endeavor, you either have an insane baseball card purchasing budget or you have one hell of a bank you are storing your money at.
Not sure if this is a deliberate misinterpretation, but I'm happy to clarify my point.

Any individual's difference in shipping charges will be relatively minor. You'll notice that I did not talk about interest I would not be earning, but very specifically said "they get to earn interest on our money." This was a deliberate wording choice.

If the auction house keeps all those differentials rather than refunding as they said they would, it adds up. It's still trivial in comparison to the amount that they make off the auction as a whole, but as a business practice I would find it objectionable. In fact, the relative triviality is probably why I'd find it objectionable.

I get that it's clearly not a big deal to you. This is my first purchase from one of the "big" auction houses. How I get treated is a big deal to me. They impressed me by so quickly addressing the over-charge problem on shipping. I'm hoping what the poster up-thread was told was the result of some miscommunication within HA about how things were being handled, since "refund" was part of their email to affected bidders.

But, being that this is the internet, and being that I'm a cynical sort, that hope was not what guided my first response.