View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ51 View Post
Well said. I'm sure everyone is aware of the shortcomings of Ruth, Cobb, the Mick, and a host of others. We prefer to keep them on their pedestals without the scrutiny of 24 hour cable.
In addition , Ted was one of the greatest fly fisherman of all time !
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvymelvin View Post
I find it pathetic that some comments so far lack empathy and any effort whatsoever to try to understand how neither Ted nor Claudia asked for the hand that was dealt them as children. I am very impressed with Claudia's desire to break the chain of dysfunction and be the first to be a good parent in generations of Williams clan. I see nothing pathetic or wacko in this story. Just sad. But hopeful.

John Henry had a very unhealthy drive to push his own agenda, but that agenda was a wish to prolong time with his father.

Maybe some of you want to avoid reading about his personal life because it makes you uneasy. You may feel that one should focus on his stats as a player, and not care about his personal life. To be frank, I see the heroism of Ted Williams the man in his attempts to connect with his children in his later years, to try to make things right, and in his apologies for his inability to be a good parent more often. And his heroism as a ball player and veteran a close second.

I see a lot of redemption in this story, with the cryogenics a personal issue that the media bastardized into something more than it was/is. I think Claudia is trying her hardest to be normal, and to show her father in a real, and human way, albeit flawed. Like all of us.

Next time you want to judge some one for being real, or sharing too much, please take a look at yourself. And if you still feel that this story is too much private twisted information, than please don't tell us all of the intimate details about how you got screwed for thousands on your last card purchase, and how we are supposed to feel bad for you, and how we are supposed to care about every item you have sold on your way to repairing your mistakes.

The fact is I do care about all of your purchases, mistakes, exciting finds as much as I care about your health issues, personal struggles, personal losses, deaths of friends and or family. I just challenge us all to hold our tongues.

Forgive me for my strong opinion, but we all bitch about all of the crap on the news, and all of the crazy people shooting other people, and then when someone shows humility, the desire to make amends, and try to do good, like Ted and Claudia, we call them wacko, or an asshole of epic proportions? WOW. With humility and understanding we can grow to like both the player and the man, whether it be Ted or Ty, or George H. Ruth, or Mickey, flaws and all. They are after all playing ball in another plce as we speak, free from the burdens of addictions, anger, bad parenting etc. I only wish that I will be remembered for my attempts to repair or atone for my mistakes as opposed to the mistakes themselves.
I agree with you completely.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 05-07-2015 at 08:23 AM.