View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Paul Hawk

Default Topics for discussion re: t206 Printing and errors

Fellow collectors,

I first want to preface everything that follows we the following disclaimer: I'm an idiot collector with no technical knowledge of how these things are done, but I think I know enough to get me in trouble....so here it goes.

I wanted to talk about the printing techniques of the T206 set specifically how they relate to the few big "printing error" cards in the set: Doyle, Magie and Snodgrass in one set, and Demmitt and O'Hara in another set.

First, let me make some observations based upon cards, errors and scraps that I have seen.

Theory: It appears to me that the printing technique used for the T206 set is "overlapping." That is, each color is printed one at a time, with each color over lapping each other to give the final product. I think this is the technique based upon some of the scraps and "ghost's that I have seen. It appears to me that for the scrap printing, the outlines of the subjects face is is clearly defined by black printing, with overlapping additional colors. I theorise that each color was printed seperately.

Theory: If printing is via an overlapping technique (I am a layman with his own terms), than there should be a printing plate for each color for each card, similar to the "printing plates" card companies release with new shiny products today. This would mean each card would have X number of printing plates to make the final product.

Question: Is there one master plate for each card, or there is master plate for a series of cards - e.g., a printing plate the size of ten cards high by ten cards wide? Or each card would be its own individual plate that could be interchanged? Would it be a printing type such as movable type, or one large sold piece of metal (or other material?)

Now here my brain goes crazy:

In regards to the Demmitt and O'Hara, if "overlapping" printing technique was used, what was the SIZE AND MONETARY INVESTMENT into these plates? If it was one large, deep relief/carved printing plate, I have to assume that:

1. It took a good amount of time to carve, and

2. If there was an error, it must have been of significant issue for the printer/investor to making a new printing plate. If each card had its own color printing plate, than making a change wouldn't be that significant in regards to re-doing all of the other cards.

Statement, these cards were inserted into cigarette packets to help sell smokes. Were errors of a significant issue to warrant investing significant $$$ to correct the problem?

Now, in regards to the "errors" with the names/teams printed in the bottom white border of the cards, I can only assume that the printing was done in a technique with movable type - e.g., each letter could be re-positioned with minimual effort. The Demmitt/O'Hara "errors", if done with deep relief printing plates would have warranted a larger monetary/time investment to correct.

Sorry, my prose with the English language isn't romantic, and I know I am not clear with presenting my ideas, but I hope you can get my thoughts.

I will never be offended with any feedback, so please blast away. I will close with saying that I'm an idiot who collects cards, who simply has a questions.

Regards,

Paul

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!