View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 12:40 AM

Default Before movies people flocked to live theater...Let's see your theater posters

Went to the San Francisco Paper Fair Saturday...hate to miss that show as anything can show up there...I didn't find anything after an hour and a half...I'm not a digger and the tightly packed room was getting to me....everywhere you went you had to elbow your way thru and I was about done...However....I finally met Pat Nestor in person at the show...We chatted and I was about to leave and Pat said he was going to wrap up a purchase of a theater poster with a college track runner on it...I said go do your deal I'll stick around to see that...He really had my curiosity up...finally he calls me...we meet up and he shows me this....not track but crew...I'm like whoa...yeah!!!...as I know how rare sports related theater posters are...we made the deal and I was one happy camper....almost left with nothing...I like the graphics of the red pennants and the two flanking oars...

Pat said the dealer had had it in his own collection along time...I poked around on the internet and found a little on the play...
The actor Henry Woodruff who starred in it actually went to Harvard...the play was performed in San Francisco for two weeks starting Sunday Dec. 22nd 1907...after showing in New York and Chicago...At the top it says “Henry Miller Presents”…at first I thought it may be the famous author…but 1907 wouldn’t be his timeline…So I kept looking…There was a Henry Miller who came to San Francisco from Germany penniless in 1850 and became the richest land baron cattle rancher in the country…when he died in 1916 he was worth $40,000,000.00….today that would be about $820,000,000.00…I speculate he may be the same Henry Miller on the poster…

This is my fourth theater poster...I guess that makes it a genera...except I may be the only one who understands how rare antique sports related theater posters are LOL...Below are my other three...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 01-09-2018 at 11:14 AM.