View Single Post
Old 12-27-2023, 12:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Closely related to this series is N157, a series of at least 19 images showing black people doing things - which seems to be the only criteria. It's a weird set of images, some humorous (like the women emptying a ladle over a mans head as he sleeps), some sporting, some seemingly random. Two of the cards are said to be boxing, with one featuring a white adult referee and two young boys boxing in front of him. The other is a solo boxing pose of one of the boys from the other photo. A third picture from this shoot is usually listed as a wrestling card, but as it features the same boys grappling I think it more likely it is a bare knuckle legal boxing clinch they are in.

It is not clear to me N157 is actually a different set than N150. Burdick segmented it based on subject matter, which seems to be more revisionist than based in the issuing. A couple of the cards bear a series caption added to the photo but most do not and are in the same format with a limited number of the possible advertisements. I have only seen these cards with the 1 line Honest Long Cut ad, no series name format version.

N692 is listed as a separate issue by Burdick, it's the same images on a smaller card size with the pictures cropped slightly different, and an ad for Old Fashion Fine Cut. I think this is a miscategorization. Just as AB T42's and T206's are a different size, T70's are different sizes and T219's are different sizes but still the same set, I think we have the same situation here. N692 should not exist as a separate catalog number as the rule by which it is created is not consistently applied and seems to not be related to how cards were actually produced and issued. All 3 of the boxing cards exist here.

I'd love to see any of these three cards with a different variation. Dan put together a great visual checklist of variations here for anyone interested in all of the cards, including the sole known variations of the boxing related cards, 8, 11 and 13: http://www.moviecard.com/gallery/duke/n157_xxx12.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg N692 card 8.jpeg (130.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpeg N692 card 11.jpeg (147.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpeg N692 card 13.jpeg (123.3 KB, 64 views)