View Single Post
Old 12-27-2023, 12:49 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Default N150/N157/N692 Boxing

This forum doesn't have a ton of activity so I figure it's fine to post 2 things in a day as there's nothing else active to detract from right now. Having finished my T and E notes I am sorting and properly cataloguing all my N notes, pictures and research stuff this week so I have a number of possible gaps or things to share I've found again.

N150 first. This is a series of mostly actresses with over 1,000 photographs. The cards usually do not identify the depicted subject, which has made check listing it a complete pain in the rear as one has to gather hundreds upon hundreds of untitled images to compare. There are several different brands advertised on the fronts, as well as an enlarged projection version that shrinks the bottom border to the size of the other border and removes the ads. Relevant to sport collectors are the 4 poses of John L. Sullivan. 2 of these poses exist on a 3 card strip that indicates a tiny sheet size (I do not think it is from a normal production sheet but what it is is not certain), but I have not seen any Sullivan cards that come in any variation besides the most common one. Attached is a set of all 4 Sullivan's that was sold showing them all. I have never seen one with no ad, or with an ad other than the basic 1 line Honest Long Cut these examples have. I would be very interested to see one with a different advertisement, though I have come to doubt they exist.

Note - the "one ear shows" SGC used is a horrible descriptor as it also describes the card on the far right. I have catalogued them as 1 eye clearly shows and 2 eyes clearly show as the poses are so similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N150 John L. Sullivan's.jpg (172.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg N150 Sullivan panel.jpg (156.7 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by G1911; 12-27-2023 at 12:50 PM.