View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Rich

Default bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Hey Rich,

thanks for that wonderful story. I can relate somewhat as I'm currently losing my father to cancer, and despite not having any hobby-related card stories between us, I'll never forget the endless early mornings he would take me and others to far and away locales for hockey tournaments. My father also taught me that integrity trumps all - something I try desperately to follow often falling short - as the man I was lucky enough to be raised by is, and always will be, a hard act to follow.

So do you still have the Cobb bat as well?
Brent
Hi Brent,

Thanks for the kind words. And, yes I still have the bat. There is more to that part of the story. My dad, who was a lifelong Brooklyn Dodgers fan, somehow got Pee Wee Reese's address at the Louisville Slugger company who he worked for back in the early 1980s and sent him a letter after acquiring the bat asking about whether it was a store model or a game used bat. Pee Wee actually wrote my dad back, with information from an old time company employee about the bat - he thought it was a store model except one word did not correspond with the records from that time period for Cobb store models. I have never looked into it further, as I am not a bat collector. I have always just thought it was cool to have a bat from the period that was the size and length of the model Cobb used at some point in his great career. I also still have my dad's original letter to Reese, and Reese's letter back that he signed. Priceless to me . . . .

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Happy Holidays my friends!!