View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Regarding Edgar Martinez. I wouldn't be against him getting in. But I'm also not gonna lobby for the guy either...The "best DH" thing is overdone and irrelevant...The Designated Hitter, while a position in a batting line-up, is also a position for players without a legit position. Forget the "designated" part, and just focus on the "hitter". Because, at it's core, that's all they are...I've said it before, and I'll say it again.(please pardon the caps) ANY PLAYER AT ANY POSITION IS A DH THAT HAPPENS TO ALSO PLAY DEFENSE. Basically, you can't judge a DH solely against other DH's. You must judge him against EVERYBODY on the field EVER!!!! Babe Ruth(minus the pitching years)=HITTER. Reggie Jackson=Hitter. Mike Schmidt=Hitter. Willie Mays=Hitter. Albert Belle=Hitter(sorry, just had to throw him in there). So on, and so on. EVERYBODY. If Edgar were at any "corner position" with those stats, would he be in? Probably not.. If he were an up the middle player? Probably. But let's face it, those are the key defensive positions, and it perfectly acceptable to give up some offense for a solid defensive presence.. Which Edgar certainly wasn't...

Again, I've got nothing against Edgar, but the truth is the truth...And I've stated nothing but the truth..