View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Default $235 for a cigarette pack label??

Posted By: Richard

Leon -

Interesting observations and I think you make some good points. I have also been doing some research about the People's Tobacco Company and its products over the last year. I have actually found out quite a bit of information regarding the Kotton product as well as several of their other offerings.

For your information, the People's Tobacco Company was founded circa 1907 by Joseph Ouray, a native of New Orleans. It was supposedly, at the time, one of the largest cigarette and tobacco plants in the south. The company was the only unionized cigarette and tobacco factory in the South, but apparently its products were not patronized by labor and circa 1935 the company was liquidated. Mino and Kotton were their biggest brands, and as far as my research shows, the Kotton brand was offered from pre-1917 to 1933 at the latest.

It appears that the wrapper that I won is more than likely from the mid 20's to early 30's and was not the actual packaging that held the T216s which was in the mid-1910s, but until I can get my hands on the item, I cannot say for sure. Either way, after constant searching and asking around over the past couple of years, I believe this wrapper to be either the first or second found related to the Kotton product (at least in our own little card world).

Once again, I ask, does anyone own, or has anyone ever seen, anything related to the packaging of T216s before?