View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default "1888" GOODWIN CHAMPIONS (N162) cards are actually an 1889 set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Hello Ted,
Always enjoy a 19th century thread. Seems dating sets has become a little more popular, a subject I enjoy.

Regarding Dunlap, "Captain" and "Manager" are two different titles and were almost always two different people. The captain was typically a player, manager not.

Hi Joe

Pardon me for differing with you here......but, it appears to me that the titles "Captain" & "Manager" in that era were interchangeable. For example, SABR's bio on "King" Kelly states:
"Kelly was named captain and manager of the Boston Reds". We know Kelly was a playing-manager in 1890 in Boston. And, if I recall correctly, Kelly's N173 cabinet identifies him as:
Kelly, Capt.
Boston

And, of course this N173 is dated as an 1889 card. Or perhaps, is it possibly an 1890 issue ?

I bring up this possibility because of the intriguing story about the George Toffling proof card (page 69 in your OLD JUDGE book). Which raises the question>were some N173's issued
in 1890 ?

I still think the term "Capt." on the N162 card of Dunlap represents "Manager". As, I have not seen anything indicating he was the Pittsburgh team Captain in 1888.

N172, N173, etc., etc. cards of Anson identify him as "Capt."...... although he was a playing-manager from 1879 - 1898.

Take care my friend,

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 06-23-2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.