View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Val Kehl

Default Leon, please don't encourage folks ...

to become "type-card collectors," because there is already too much competition for me!! FYI, I don't consider you to be my competition, because you already have examples of 99.9% of all the type cards that exist! Whenever I need to rekindle my enthusiasm for type-card collecting (which is very seldom!), all I do is have another online look at your collection and I am wired to go!

When I resurrected my childhood collection (that Mom didn't toss, thank goodness) the mid-1980s, I focused on completing the 1950s & 1960s Topps and Bowman sets. But, after discovering that there were all sorts of really neat cards going all the way back to the 19th Century and after trading Bill Huggins some 1960 Topps for a T207 WAJO, I was hooked on vintage cards. From the late 1980s onward, it was first WAJO cards, then Sam Rice (he had the greatest non-pitcher career with the Senators, IMO) cards, then type cards (if WAJO or Rice is not in a set, then I look for any Washington player, or at least someone who played for Washington at some point in his career).

Yes, I would enjoy collecting lotsa vintage sets as well as type cards, but one has to keep in mind one's available resources and make tough choices! But, I am working on a few Washington subsets - e.g., N172s, E120s, and 1925 Holland Creameries.

Seriously, I encourage all bb card collectors, especially the newbies to vintage cards, to give type-card collecting a try - it's lotsa fun and a great card-history-learning experience!
Val