View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default Seperate Category section for Reprints on E-Bay

Posted By: davidcycleback

That is a legitimate point, but illegal reprinting is against the rules now one eBay.

It is the legal responibility of the copy rights or trade mark holder to press or at least initiate the issue of stopping unauthorized reprints. Many 1952T Mantles are obviously not authorized reprints, but if Topps doesn't take initiative on the issue, little will be done. Duly note that I'm talking about accurately described reprints here, not counterfeits. Counterfeiting (reprinting in order to sell as originals) is illegal whether or not Topps cares.

Concerning the eBay sellers who think they are getting off by selling their fakes but not technically calling them original, I recently talked to a Professor who told me about a infamous painting forger. The forger would make paintings of old masters, age them, and not sign the painter's name to them. The forger said he never said the painting was an original by the master, but the buyers came to the conclusion themselves when looking at them. He felt that the buyers' concludions was not his responsibility.

I commented, "Well if he was the seller and the maker of the painting, he has to give more detail to the potential buyer."

And the Professor said, "That's what the sentencing judge said."