View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 11:44 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

People were nice in their debate. I wasn't offended.

However, as someone trained in museum sciences, I can tell you that people here would be amazed at the advanced science that is used in examining art and artifacts. There are instruments that examine the very molecular structure of material using x-rays, gamma rays and other radiation, and can not only identify what chemicals and substances are in it but their exact concentrations. They can not only identify a diamond, but, from the chemical structure, tell you where the diamond originated from.

My research areas and expertise are in authenticity, not condition or grading. However, many forgeries in art and artifacts involve alterations-- everything making a common print into a rare variation to reconfiguring an ancient vase--, so identifying later added material, such as when rebuilding the corners of a trading card, is an integral part knowledge of someone in the area.

If you want to read about the area: Authenticating Art and Artifacts: An Introduction to Methods and Issues

Interestingly, the sports memorabilia hobby does not use many of the advanced methods used by museums. But for a $9.99 holiday special for a one minute look at your 1957 Topps, that's not to be expected. However, all the looking at scans, researching history and finding issue dates that is done on this board is all good stuff. Many collectors are legitimate historians and experts on their particular cards. As I say in the book, a veteran collector can often identify something as a reproduction before the university nuclear physicist can plug in his x-ray spectrometer.

Last edited by drcy; 01-22-2018 at 12:11 PM.