View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Here is the dark brown one after applying Lexol generously to clean and restore some suppleness to the leather. You can see a wool-looking interior. I thought that the thin leather liner had been removed, but I could not see any evidence (bits of leather attached to the seams). I bought several thin pieces of dark leather, thinking I would sew in a new liner, but before sewing it in, I called a glove expert who told me that this is actually a full asbestos liner that, if you removed, would be a thin wooly mitt. I checked and, sure enough - the wooly lining extended all the way up the fingers and covered the entire interior of the glove.

The Lexol worked very well. There are a few places where raw leather shows - if I don't have it professionally done I will dye these spots and then add a leather finish only to those spots

There is a separated area in the palm that I had planned to stitch back together myself if possible. Turns out that the leather is very supple and can be stitched, but it's too complicated for me to do correctly. I have contacted a professional. If he doesn't do it, I will connect with basting stitches, but it won't look totally correct.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:09 PM.