View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

Thanks Dan. It was a combination of things of how I picked the players on the poster. The main one was that they had to have played in the major leagues. Out of these I picked the ones that are most well known obviously like Sockalexis, Thorpe, Bender, Myers, Reynolds, and the more current players. I also picked players based on the quality of the image I could find like the Moses Yellow Horse one Rhys directed me to. Lastly, I tried to include players that I could find a direct link to their Native heritage. I used Ancestry.com to confirm some players names on the Indian Census Rolls that they have on their site from 1885-1940.

There were a number of players that I couldn't confirm like Mack and Zack Wheat for instance. That's not to say they don't have Native blood but I just couldn't find them on tribal rolls at this time so I'll have to keep doing research.

If you have any images you'd like to share towards this project that would be great since I might do a second poster if I can get enough images and include some players that I couldn't fit on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Dewey, that looks great. Is there any rhyme or reason to the players you picked to put on the poster? I have some images of Native American players. I collect the Nebraska Indians team, but have also over the years accumulated many Native American team postcards and images.

PS I know Joba's dad. He's a regular around my local minor league ballpark.