View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 05:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
I would compare prices on BGS 10 to PSA 10, not sure BGS 9.5 to PSA 10 is an apples to apples comparison. In your Trout comparison BGS 10 VCP avg is $1457 vs. PSA 10 $572 (almost 3x). I was referring more to the overall total numbers of modern in BGS holders and the desirability. From everything I've seen BGS holds substantial leads in both. Which probably has something to do with the long wait times for their lowest tier service.
9.5 to 10 is apples to apples. Gem Mint to Gem Mint. No question. BGS 10 is to one side a very unusual grade, kinda like having one of those HE stickers. 10 to 10 is definitely NOT apples to apples. If PSA prices are higher then by definition that means PSA is more desirable so I really don't get your point. BGS probably has graded more because earlier and for a number of years it was the biggest player in the space so got off to a substantial lead. Not any longer. Just look at PWCC which is probably the biggest seller of this stuff.

PS I have some Beckett cards so I am not biased or a PSA fanboy. I think generally they do a good job on modern, even if the subgrades can be a little arbitrary and are frequently just off on Star basketball for reasons beyond me. But the money guys chasing the big Trout variations, the Jeters, etc. etc., are buying PSA.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-29-2018 at 05:54 PM.