View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 09:35 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

The only concern I have with MLB Authentication is that sometimes the certificates are vague as far as the specifics of items. Example: here's a selection of game-used baseballs offered for sale at Citi Field's Amazin' Memorabilia store, your choice, $50 each.

(Photo taken September 2, 2015. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

The baseball at the top center of the pile, the one with the "Official Major League Baseball" inscription almost completely rubbed off, is identified in the MLB Authentication Database identifies the ball at top center as follows:
Hologram number HZ335057 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
Session Product Description:
Session Name: COL AT NYM
Session Date: August 11, 2015
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: BATTER - DANIEL MURPHY, PITCHER - CHRISTOPHER RUSIN, BOTTOM OF 5, FOUL BALL
This is how it should be. You not only know it's real, but you know when and where it was used, who pitched it, who the batter was, and what happened.

However...

Here are three baseballs that were authenticated by MLB as having been used in Game 4 of the 2015 NLCS - the game where the Mets won the National League title. The Mets were asking $750 apiece for these.

(Photo taken October 31, 2015. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

You would think these balls, having been used in the post-season and having a significant asking price, would have at least the same level of annotation. Unfortunately, all three of these post-season game-used balls are identified in the MLB Authentication Database as follows:
Hologram number JB102946 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
Session Product Description:
Session Name: 2015 NLCS GAME 4 NYM @ CHC
Session Date: October 21, 2015
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
That's right. You don't know the specifics - pitcher, batter, inning, result - because they weren't recorded. The hologram numbers on the baseballs are JB102930, JB102946, and JB102950 if you want to look them up yourself.

Maybe it's just me, but I would think MLB would do everything in their power to make sure all the baseballs used in the postseason, at least the ones they plan to sell to collectors for huge prices, have certificates that include as much information as possible.