View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default So What's More Rare?

Posted By: fkw

Like Wesley said, there are only about 22-23 different Mothers cards known so far (including the 4 uncataloged players from Mastros lot, Ive also seen a Mathewson).

The Mothers set is related to but far different than the more common D303 General Baking, or Tango Eggs sets. 1/3rd of the known cards in Mothers are not found with a General Baking back. Of the 18 Mothers that are named in the SCD Catalog, 6 are not found in the D303 General Baking set..... Bressler, Felsch, Louden, Meyer, Morgan, Weaver. And Bressler and Louden are not even found with a Tango or T216 back.

I have always been interested in the D303 Mothers cards, ever since reading about them many years back in an old Lew Lipset sales list where it was noted they were far rarer than the recently discovered Tango Eggs cards. The Mothers set is still a mystery, and the cards are far rarer than most of you think. Easily far rarer than Tangos.

Its not a good comparison to compare Mothers cards with the T208s because the high value T208s are all in major collections and rarely hit the market. Mothers are traded and sold more frequently. Ive seen some of the same cards sold over and over.

IMO
T208s should be compared to T215 Pirate, or T214s.
D303 Mothers should be compared to Tangos or T216 Mino/Virginia Extra.

Who here has more than 6 different examples of Mothers cards?? I think Dan Mckee has a few, but Im not sure how many.

My guess is there are less than 100-150 Mothers cards total.

Frank