Thread: Tickets
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
Very well said and very true Dave.
I couldn't agree more. Dave's comment on.."stimulate thought about the time and place", especially resonates with me.

That is why I collect, because I love history and sport. Not to make a fortune, not with the faint hope that I will uncover some major treasure, not to keep score or have the most 'toys'...but to make small connections to history.

I recently bought a large lot of Cornell ephemera pulled from an early scrapbook for $10, about 50 pieces. All scrap and of little value, but I like digging through lots like this. Out of the lot I pulled this "Admit One Armory, Nov. 29, 1906" ticket. It had little meaning until I discovered what it was for. It was issued to listen to the wire reports of the 1906 Cornell/Penn football game. You can see it in the picture below, along with some of the other scraps.

The ticket is of a little value, but to tie it to what was going on that day, I find deeply rewarding. Reading this article about the wire reports from the Armory...they sold 2,000 tickets..cheerleaders directed the singing....chairs only for woman and faculty...and experienced wire operators. Consider the unimaginable technology available to us today to watch football wherever and however we want.

1906.jpg

19062.jpg