View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a great looking Joe Wood PC....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
Was doing a little research today and came across this old thread. What a phenomenal postcard of Maranville.

Here are of scans of Boston Daily American Souvenir Postcards of Wood and Wagner. Unfortunately, neither are mine. I do not think that the Maranville comes from the same set. The designs are completely different, the cards are numbered and, AFAIK, the set only contains cards of Red Sox. Plus, the names of the publisher changed at some point from Boston Daily American Souvenir to Boston American Souvenir.

I have never seen another postcard with the same design as the Maranville. I tend to think that it was not part of a "set," rather Maranville was the only subject published.

I highly doubt that it is from 1912 as Maranville was with New Bedford for almost the entire year and did not play with the Boston Braves until September. My guess is that it is from 1914 when he was a starter for the Miracle Braves and finished 2nd in the MVP voting behind teammate Johnny Evers.

Plus, it would make sense that the first issue featuring Red Sox was issued in 1912 when they won the pennant and World Series and the second series featuring Maranville was released in 1914 when the Braves won the same.