View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default Research Research Research

So I got back from camping to find two cool things in the mailbox today.

1) A 1986 Topps Tiffany Brian Fisher card (I presumed that '86 cards might have '85 photos?). After looking at his jersey under the scope, and comparing it to close up photos of my "Mantle", I would say that I am actually fairly confident that it is, in fact, the same jersey.

2) An old Phillip-Morris magazine that had an article about Mick's fantasy camp. I also got some more information to add to my puzzle. Here is what the jersey is apparently NOT: It is NOT a jersey that was issued to a fantasy "player". According to the magazine, incoming "players" were issued their own uniforms, and not surprisingly, there was a photo of the lockers, all with #7 jerseys (didn't ANYONE want Whitey's number???). However, by total coincidence, I happened to see an exemplar from the camp on Monday, and after reading the article, realized what it was today. "Campers" got new jerseys with their names embroidered in them. So that does not match mine.

So, (and please feel free to chime and and refute anything I write); I do not yet have a real* Mick, but I think I have made more progress. This is really turning into a fun project.

*real = Mick wore it, walked by it, or was in the same room with it. Or maybe the same stadium. Also, I think if the jersey was washed in the same machine, that would also count.