View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Tom Boblitt

The mail, like Seinfeld says about fruit, is a gamble.........

All the carriers have issues...I'm a 30 year UPS employee, owned a UPS Store and ship stuff primarily by the USPS since the cost/size fits better but also UPS and the occasional FedEx. All are pretty good overall. There are exceptions though.

At UPS, we deliver about 15 million packages a day in the US. If only 1% has a problem, there's 150,000 packages in limbo with 300,000 customers upset. The USPS has made huge strides in the last 10 years to improve their service--helped much by FedEx and UPS who carry most, if not all, their Priority and Express mail from city to city. They handle pickup and delivery, we handle the in-between. And the normal passenger airlines as well.

One way where the USPS can improve is with more intermediate scanning. It seems like they only scan many of the packages when it's received in the post office and then upon delivery. Some get some intermediate scanning, so I'm not sure about that. I do know that my local post office is getting new equipment all the time and just got a new printer which prints both the tracking labels now as well as the postage strips, so they're working hard.

Congrats to Kevin on those 1955's. Glad they made it. You're a good guy as we've dealt before.....now I have to get to work on my 1955 set since my 1956 is just about finished......