View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Were you bidding on photos when this occurred? I was only bidding on a Willie Mays image and experienced the same thing. It was an unusual 1954 action photo of Mays during his sole season in Puerto Rico. He played in the same outfield as Roberto Clemente that season. There doesn't seem to be very many original images of him wearing the uniform of the Santurce Congrejeros. This was also the first action shot I have ever seen of him from that season. Because of these factors I was watching intently with a few minutes to spare. I walked away momentarily and panicked when I returned and saw that the lot closed. Then I panicked when I found that I actually won it and needed to find a way to explain my good fortune to my wife.
Yes, bidding on photos. Thanks for your response - I thought I was going nuts. Believe me, when I want something, I am paranoid about those final minutes. I lost the Conlon-inscribed 'Cobb Sliding' photo as a result, but I won a few lots that others would probably have continued bidding on. I guess it's a wash.

I am guessing you got the image of Mays sliding into Campy? If so, that was a GREAT pick-up!!! It was on my watch list, along with the Williams/Berra sliding pic. There were just too many great photos to go after all the ones I liked.