View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Default 1967 High Number Sheets

Posted By: Larry P.

I collected this set in the Buffalo, NY area in the summer of 1967 when I was 11 years old. The distribution issues by series remain clear in my memory to this day, as I had to ride my bike far and wide (unbeknownst to my mother) to get the high numbers.

I distinctly recall that several local mom and pop stores and drug stores sold all the series 1 through 5, and these were easy to get. The 6th series was a little tougher, limited to 2 or 3 stores, and the 7th series was only available in 1 store, Seven-Eleven.

When I asked the owner of the store nearest to me where were the last series cards, why didn't he have them, he told me that they were now stocking football cards instead of baseball cards, as football season was now starting and they assumed nobody would want baseball cards anymore(late August or early September as I recall) - hence no 7th series cards available.

This drove me and my friends nuts because we already had the 7th checklist and we all desperately wanted the Brooks Robinson card, one of the World Series heroes in 1966. The Seaver and Carew rookie cards meant nothing to us at that time, and we had no inkling that the high numbers all would prove to be scarce years later.