View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Default Some great summer reading for prewar collectors

Posted By: Bob

Some new books out there which I have had a chance to read and which I'd like to share with others:
One of the most informative and well written books I've read in quite a while is called "Where They Ain't" by Burt Solomon, a story of the original Baltimore Orioles and the trials and tribulations of the team, city, and particular focus on Willie Keeler.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I also just finished Red Legs and Black Sox by Dr. Susan Dellinger, a writer who also happens to be the granddaughter of HOFer Edd Roush of the Reds. The book is primarily about Edd and his life but the book takes a fresh and new approach at the 1919 World Series from the perspective of the Cincinnati players and midwest gamblers. Most interesting is the uncovering of the files of a detective hired by Ban Johnson prior to the WS to investigate gambling and prospective fixing of games. The book gives information which tends to show that two Reds' pitchers, Sallee and Reuther, conspired with gamblers to throw two of the games in the Series. Interesting and sure to be controversial. Not as well written as Solomon's book, but very interesting and a good read.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Getting ready to read 1924 The Greatest Season. Looking forward to it...