Thread: March Pickups
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 03:39 PM

Default Sandy Koufax career strikeout milestone tickets and scorebooks

I recently picked up some terrific tickets and scorebooks to HOF Sandy Koufax's major milestone strikeout games. They really are an ideal fit to my collection related to power pitching.

These all came from the personal collection of long-time Koufax collector and close hobby friend Phil Paul. After 30 years of collecting, Phil has decided to part with some of his favorite items related to Sandy Koufax's career. He is a regular contributor on net54 and goes by koufax1fan. If you don't know Phil, he is truly one of the great guys in the hobby.

Consider reaching out to Phil directly as he still has more excellent items related to the great Sandy Koufax's career.

A few of the items that I would like to share are:

A full, unused ticket to Sandy Koufax's NL leading single-season strikeout record of 382 K's. Only one pitcher ever got more strikeouts in the Modern Era and that was the great Nolan Ryan when he broke Sandy's record in 1973 with 383 K's. I've never seen another full ticket to Sandy's 382 K game, which ironically was also the 2nd to last game of the Milwaukee Braves franchise before becoming the Atlanta Braves in 1966.

A nice ticket stub to Sandy's single game K record of 18 K's on August 31, 1959 at LA, which at the time tied him with fellow HOF pitcher Bob Gibson for the ML record. This was the 1st of two times that Sandy recorded 18 K's in a game.

A beautifully scored program, ticket, official press notes and newspaper clippings from Sandy's 2nd 18 K game on April 24th, 1962 at Wrigley Field. Awesome mini-collection from the lucky fan that witnessed his gem!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-24-2017 at 11:20 AM.