View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default W517 unnumbered variations- So now there are two?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Jeff J:

My statement reflects my conjecture regarding this set.

Specifically, this set was manufactured with a fixed card production matrix for the Champion Draw marketplace. That is, every (of 6) incidents of cards found with the Champion Draw box which I have investigated, always result in the same strip configurations - the same three players in the same positions on the 3 card strip.

Other arrangements of these cards on strips are encountered routinely. One (my) interpretation of this is that alternate printers with different printing plate set ups were responsible for the different player line ups on the original sheets; and therefore the strips. I speculate from this that there was marketplaces for this product in addition to the Champion Draw application.

Information on this subject is rather sketchy. Some collectors believe that w-517s were not only issued in strips. There is some evidence that they were also released as single cards.

I am very receptive to additional information, supposition, insight, and hypothesis on this set.

Edited to add: One occurance of the Waner without a number is on a three card strip including Hack Wilson and Rogers Hornsby. This may be the only incidence of the numberless Waner, or maybe not.