View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Default Seeking quotes for SCD article -- pack grading

Posted By: don fluckinger

Hi, all.

This is a little off topic because it probably focuses more on 1940s-1970s, but it's not the shiny stuff, either, as some of you guys like to put it (I love that descriptor).

I am working on a piece for SCD, actually 2 pieces, on pack grading. GAI does it, PSA started recently.

I'm seeking collector perspective in response to this post...for publication to quote in the article. So if you hit reply, "the mic is on."

[Note, I will never quote anyone's post (or back channel email) in the magazine unless I specifically say so as I do above...or if I don't, I will ask permission first. I take this matter very seriously.]

I have a couple questions in mind for the Forum 54 Community:

1. Does a pack that's graded make you feel more confident about authenticity and the "guaranteed unsearched" element of a buy...or not?

2. What does a high grade mean to you? That the cards inside are likely in better condition, or that aesthetically it's more pleasing for your pack collection (or set/master set collection/etc), or something else?

3. If you are a pack collector, I'd love to hear your answer to this one: The hobby mentality is based on ripping packs open as soon as possible. Why do people like unopened packs? Where do you find the willpower to not open a pack?

Thanks and I look forward to the responses.

--don