View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 11:36 AM

When it was whole it had to be one of the largest baseball photos of the period. In it's current state it's still one of the largest I've seen.

I too have questions about the Joseph Hall-- but even if it isn't a Joseph Hall identity it stands on its own as a photograph. I don't know when Hall retired or died, so I don't know, but as with Barry I hadn't heard of him making baseball photos past the 1890s. As already mentioned, perhaps a later owner wrote in that stuff at the bottom before displaying it on his wall. But, if the photo is original, it is quite a piece no matter who photographed it. To me, the photographer identity is a secondary issue as far as value goes. The value would mostly due to the size and players.

It obviously has some condition issues, but if original it is a unique piece.

For the record, I would call it a mammoth photograph-- which is the name for antique (usually 1800s) photographs that were extremely large. Usually anything 20x20 inches or largest are called mammoth. If you want to called it a mammoth composite, that sounds good too.

I nearly never say this, but that's an item I say that's worth considering getting restored. If original and in nice condition, I'd call that a museum piece.

Duly note that I keep saying 'if original' because I haven't seen it in person, and I never say anything is original via digital photos. I'm not suggesting or implying I see anything wrong with it from in posted pictures.

Consider my 'if original' my pre-certification. To change it to 'original' cost $50 and a waiver that you won't sue me if I'm wrong. 'Definitely original!' cost $75. 'Thar she blows! The the White Whale!'-- $120. Three or more photos and you get a complimentary 'Yankees suck!'

Last edited by drc; 04-14-2012 at 12:28 PM.