View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Suggestions

Firstly your thought of getting them graded at the show and then auctioned at the show is not realistic - as mentioned, the grading fees alone will make it a poor financial decision to grade what I would think would be the majority of cards you have. Secondly, as far as I know there is not an auction that you consign to the day(s) of the show that then sells them that day. I think the suggestion to take 10-20 of a mix of the bigger names (Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Willie mays, Roberto Clemente) and some of what appear to you to be the "better condition" cards and get them graded now is a great starting point - if they come back in the 8-10 grading range - you have a windfall on your hands (not impossible, but highly unlikely). If they come back in the 4-7 range, you'll be getting some money, but far from a windfall. If you posted some scans, I am sure you could get some more educated opinions regarding condition. Depending on what you get back, will determine your best sales outlet. If you get back those 8-10's, then likely consigning to a reputable auction house would be a great idea, if they come back lower grades (4-7) then selling in team lots/year lots either here(no fees) or on ebay (fees) would be your best avenue. If you sell off just the star cards, you will likely be left either unable to sell the more common cards or getting paid pennies on the dollar. Be well. Good luck.

-Howard