View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Gary - This is what I propose and can be done:

In addition, paper stock right now fluoresces, and it did not for prewar cards. This is why using the black light test is a standard test now to determine authenticity. A counterfeiter would basically have to be able to create paper stock like they did back then or find a bunch of unused paper stock from the prewar days that is nearly identical to the card they are trying to forge.

Why not just recreate the stock? Todays stock only glows b/c of its compounds. How hard would it be to recreate edges and corners? This is standard restoration in other fields. Its just accepted and disclosed.

My while point is this: with the ever increasing prices, we ill see ever increasing fraud and attempts to deceive. At what point do people just say enough is enough? The amounts of money are just rather large.
Card doctoring has been rampant for the two decades since I got back into collecting. In my opinion, as witnessed by the continued strength of the market, not many people care.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.