View Single Post
Old 04-19-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsbats View Post
As a kid, walking around the Willow Grove/Fort Washington card show, a dealer asked me if I knew who this was. As a 10 year old, I said I did. He said if you know who it is, you can have it for $90.00, to which I replied, it's Sam Wahoo Crawford and he played for Detroit, that's a W600 Sporting News....to which, the dealer smiled and said, it's yours for 90.00 if you want it.

Attachment 513018
Great story and nice dealer! I have a similar and less pleasant interaction with a dealer at a show when I was in my late teens/early 20's. I asked to see the stack of W517 cards in his case. He handed them to me and I was going through them looking for a Dazzy Vance card. I must have taken too long or he was just tired of this punk kid going through his merchandise, as he inquired, real aggressively, "you probably don't know what cards those are." I was kind of shocked, but I fairly quickly replied "1931 W517 strip cards." I had found the Vance I wanted and was about to make the purchase, but I slapped his stack of cards back on his display case and walked away.

Like I said, yours was a much nicer story. My story ends well though, as later a W517 Vance landed in my collection without the help of this grumpy seller.

Brian