View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Default If the bottom fell out...

Posted By: E, Daniel

If there were a national/global reason for such a depression in the market, we'd all have more pressing issues to think about - like...... welcoming back into the home the son who never got married but still eats you out of house and home .

But quite seriously, I really don't see the major correction everyone dreads (or gleefully anticipates), or if it comes the period to take advantage of it will be a very small window indeed. Much as property may pop the bubble for 12 months or so, but then its very quickly back up to where it was and flying past to inexorably bigger and bigger numbers.
I honestly think that the sports card collecting world is in it's infancy of true price affordability (that's not to say 10 years ago it wasn't an absolute steal!), that large scale adult collecting is barely 20 years old, and serious interest in vintage perhaps 10. With what I belive is the stabilizing effect of "expert" 3rd party grading to give novice collectors confidence to buy cards they might otherwise shy from, I too believe card prices will be 5 fold in ten years or so.
So if you can afford to, buy now, buy what you like, and thank your lucky stars you have found the hobby before it becomes a truly murderous fight for available material.

Daniel