View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Bill Gregory

So, he's conflicted?

How many people in real life, or how many characters have you seen on television that were clearly good, or bad? I don't know why you're surprised that one of George RR Martin's focal characters is unpredictable. Most of the main characters on the show have displayed inner conflict of some kind. Ned Stark was a moral man, his loyalty to the King was unquestionable. Yet, when called upon to be the King's Hand, he was incredibly conflicted. He wanted to stay in Winterfell with Catelyn and his family. And as strong as his loyalty to was, he refused to have Danerys killed on the King's order. He relinquished his position as Hand because it conflicted with his principles.

Catelyn felt conflicted by Jon Snow. He was a constant reminder of her husband's infidelity. Yet, towards the end of her life, she admitted feeling shame for the way she treated him. Yet, she could still never embrace him.

I could go on. The point being none of the characters on this show are one dimensional. They might revert to one path, but they will do things that surprise you. Tyrion Lannister is portrayed, early on, as a miscreant, a drinking, womanizing little monster that embarrasses his father, Tywin. But he's also wildly intelligent, and he is wise beyond his years. He also has a very clear sense of right and wrong. He has surprised me time and time again. Then, he kills his father with a crossbow.

If one thing should be clear after six seasons, it's that nothing is ever really clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
And then we get to Riverrun where he simply decides he will just continue to be the same Jamie he had always been, with a blind allegiance to Cersei.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.