View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 PM
bubblebathgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
This?

bobbyw8469
Master Collector

Wednesday January 23, 2013 12:30 PM (NEW!)

I am going to play Devil's advocate here. I recently consigned my entire 1933 Sports Kings graded set with PWCC. After I consigned it, I immediately had regrets. I paid $1,000 for the Babe Didrickson card less than 2 months before the auctions. I see the card at $600 with 30 seconds to go before the auction ends. I would absolutely love to have it back - I paid $1,000 just last month, SURELY I would pay $750 and think I was getting a steal. Is that wrong to bid on that card?

Or how about this scenario. I consign a card, and don't realize that All Star Cards is paying $850 for a particular card in a particular grade. I see the card in question for $300 less than what ASC is paying. Is that wrong to try to win the card to ship it off to ASC for a profit, even though it is my card?

Just wanted some thoughts and ideas.......

bobbyw8469
Master Collector

Wednesday January 23, 2013 5:47 PM (NEW!)

<< You did bid it UP. You can't bid on your own item, and it makes no difference whether you originally bought it for $1 or $1000. >>

If I paid $1,000 for a card one month ago, do you think I am going to absolutely hate it at $500??? I bid on alot of cards. I use ONE CLICK BID. Alot of times I don't even look at the seller. I accidentally bid on the card. I see a card that I think is an absolute steal, and I bid on it. I am a VCP member and I see what the current average is on the card. The winning bidder got it for darn near $150 under the average selling price. It was an accident. I would have LOVED to have that card for $600. At $710 the winning bidder absolute stole the card.

And he got caught because of semi-transparent bidding. It's a deterrent.

Others have been caught and blocked as a result. Yes there are always workarounds but the point is to keep evolving ways to keep things fair.

I don't expect people who run AHs (known or unknown) or those who have their minds made up to change. My POV is to offer some food for thought to those who haven't considered this yet, and who just don't know any better.