View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
This is mostly a history on sports cards. There are so many articles like this online - boringggg. The author also briefly mentions the vault at the end and that's it. The only section that stood out was this:

The market for the new hit cards has been fueled by a new generation of young buyers. At Manhattan’s Midtown Sports Card Show, I met Sharon Chiong, half of a two-woman partnership called BlackJadedWolf. Chiong is a high-end broker-dealer and card-buying consultant with a network of clients around the world. Born in Manila and raised in Queens, Chiong collected basketball cards as a fan during the last boom but came to cards as a profession only after leaving the diamond trade. “I went from one luxury business to another,” she told me. The day I met her, she had $1 million worth of inventory listed on eBay.

Chiong’s typical buyer is a Wall Street guy in his 30s or 40s who loved cards as a kid, drifted away after the bust, and returned in recent years with money to spend. Some collect anew the cards that had filled childhood closets, only now they are seeking ones in Gem Mint 10 condition; others are drawn by the limited-edition-hit craze. Lately, Chiong has seen an uptick in slightly less affluent clients looking to invest four- or five-figure sums made from flipping other nontraditional assets, such as Bitcoin or limited-edition sneakers.

So two women started a card company and are high-end broker-dealers who have a network of clients from around the world, and a typical buyer for them is a Wall Street guy? How come I have never heard of them before? Weird.

They do have a website with priced inventory and they have a calendar to let you know where they are going. Both of these sections raise a question.

All their inventory is priced 5 cents less than a round number. Does a price of $999.95 appeal to a buyer who would not pony up $1000 even???

According to their calendar, they haven't been anywhere in the last three months and have no scheduled upcoming trips for the rest of this year. If you want to meet with them in 2019, I guess this means that Manhattan is your only option.
I would suggest calling first though to make sure they are still there.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.