View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 07:06 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Card shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Boots on the Ground Card Shows might start to get Heat Up Again !
I set up at card shows. I have a Wisconsin sellers permit and I pay sales taxes on everything that I sell at shows. I don't charge the customers, so I effectively lose 5.5% on every sale at a show. This has been going on for years. Nothing new. The Wisconsin Department of Revenue has been known to show up at shows to check the dealers to see if they have a sellers permit.

I also pay Federal and State taxes on my net profit at the end of the year, along with around 15% for Medicare and Social Security. When I purchase a collection I have to get if for a really low price in order to make a profit.

Most of my fellow dealers don't have a permit and they don't pay taxes on their sales. That is why most dealers don't accept debit or credit cards, or PayPal or checks. They deal in cash so they can avoid taxes.

It is hard for me to believe that paying sales tax on a purchases is a big hardship for most buyers, and I wouldn't let 5% stop me from buying something for my collection. The people who are cancelling purchases because of the sales tax are flippers, and the 5% eats into their profit.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.