View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
That is great info, but I would think most folks will not be worried about external elements, aside from sunlight. I guess if anyone is actually storing their cards in the weather, they have bigger problems than what will happen to the cards.

I have often wondered how cards would fair in somewhat extreme cold, but still inside and protected from direct exposure to the elements. I would use a garage as an example. My garage is exposed to outside temps, but is still enclosed, so maybe a hair warmer that external temp. I guess my biggest concern was always moisture. I have always been nervous about storing anything good in the garage and have avoided it for the most part. Same with storage when I had everything in the storage locked. I opted for heated storage when I had to use one.

I have stored boxes of cards and magazines in my garage (often out of necessity and lack of indoor space), some probably as long as 10 years. I have not noticed any issues when I have dug up certain boxes, but some of the stuff I have not viewed since it was stashed.
I've had a few boxes of junkwax era stuff in the garage/carriage house since 1997, and the area has been generally damp most of that time. Generally a bit cooler than outside in the summer, and just as cold in the winter. It's been in 800 count boxes.
No ill effects that I can tell.