View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 11:47 AM

Default Window card experiments (sunfading)

bnorth asked for me to post my window cards here, which were weathering experiments I had started... perhaps 12 years ago... and sort of forgot about.

I had seen others do experiments, but usually using older Topps or OPC cards. And I wanted to test weathering and sun-fade on a variety of newer types. Initially there were 5 cards that were used, although currently there are only 3 still in windows. Those typed were/are:

1. Glossy (2005 Upper Deck)
2. Dufex (90s Pinnacle parallel)
3. Thin plastic
4. Thick plastic (Upper Deck Ice)
5. Refractor

The glossy card was from 2005-06 Upper Deck base set, and I believe it also was a Brendan Shanahan. That card is currently in a binder, and I think that the reason it was taken out of a window was because the window was replaced. The Dufex card was a 1996-97 or 1997-98 Pinnacle card of an Ottawa Senators player. The problems with a Chrome card is more extreme with the Dufex card, as the foil material also shrinks but is much thinner. This creates some extreme curling on the cardboard. Unfortunately, this card was not in the window it was supposed to be in, so I am thinking that perhaps the kitty-man had found it.

If I find where the Dufex card is, I will take a picture of it. It is quite wild how that card looked the last time I saw it.

Here I made an Imgur gallery of the fronts and backs of the three cards that were still in windows. I put some text in there because it is posted to public Imgur:

https://imgur.com/gallery/bP1sxeG