View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Larry

A couple of years ago, I went ahead and bought a 1947 Tip Top Bread Ralph Kiner from Steve Verkman (who quite correctly described the card's condition) with writing on the face of the card, "51 homeruns in 1947." The card also looked like it had been carried around in a prior owner's wallet for some time, with creases covering its surface. I purchased it only because I had been after this card for about a decade, and this was the only one I had seen offered that was not part of a much larger lot in something like an REA auction, but now I'm rather glad I did. It's fascinating in a way to include an item in your collection that was rather obviously treasured by the prior owner back in someone like Kiner's heyday (7 straight homerun titles, twice over 50 in a single season--previously done only by Ruth, Foxx, Mantle and Mays, I believe--as well as a ton of RBI's and runs scored, to go with a .400 lifetime on base %)
Kiner was always a favorite of mine, and I have to admit, I've carried the card around too at times in a protective holder.
Sorry I'm so late at joining the thread,

Larry