View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
I still prefer the Ramones, though I think "London Calling" is the greatest rock and roll record of all time.

Peter, if I remember this correctly, I think there was a lot of derision around the idea that one person could organize a meeting to "clean up the hobby," particularly one who had a collection filled with high-grade, graded cards. But if you remember, the response to that Thanksgiving Day thread was pretty dramatic, very similar to what's happening today, and Jim had great intentions.

At the time , there was a lot of talk from a variety of guys with a variety of ideas, just like there is today. I remember being skeptical that anything could be accomplished, but being flattered to have been asked - and subsequently being surprised to see a representative from an auction house and a grading company involved with a meeting that I thought was intended to be some collectors discussing what could be done.

At that meeting, and also today, my feeling has been the same: if collectors want the hobby clean, they will stop doing business with bad actors. Stop consigning, stop bidding, stop buying. If there's no money in it, the bad guys will leave the hobby or clean up.

-Al
Al, I can perhaps understand your feelings about the Beatles. But what about those nice London boys, the Sex Pistols who were punk pioneers? Strangely enough, many have said they were talentless outlaws. I must admit to being mildly amused by their band names, Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious. I was living in London at the time when they hit the scene, causing quite a commotion and lots of controversy.