View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 12:35 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I’ve often had the same thought. But the beauty of BecKett’s model is that they “specialize” in new cards, thus guaranteeing a steady flow in the future. They are totally screwing that up right now. I think that Beckett has the market on new cards for 2 reasons:
1.new cards are all in incredible shape, so guys get suckered in with that black label 10 crap.
2. Since new cards are in such great shape, their use of subgrades helps distinguish a grade by it’s sub grades. Ex: We both have a 9.5, but mine is better because it has two 10 subs. It’s absurd, but true.
I hear you Orlando, I thought the same way until I started buying new stuff. I actually really like the BGS sub grades as it adds depth and complexity to collecting that I think others like too. If you're a centering guy, you can look for BGS 9.5's or 10's with only centering 10 sub grades, or corners with only 10's etc. This has a tendency too to widen the pricing band within grade as you're only really considering 9, 9.5's, 10's and black. And as far as the black label cards, I'm sure you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between most black and a Pristine 10 with one 9.5 sub grade. But it's genius marketing as most brands offer that "premium" model that we've all fallen for. Gotta say those black labels look really damn cool too. :-)

With the back log isn't that just for the lowest cost, non guaranteed date grading service? Makes sense that people paying more for the faster service would get front of the line....
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 08-29-2018 at 12:36 PM.