View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 01:46 PM

Default 1910s Oakland Oaks PCL pennant??

I just picked this pennant up. I'm curious if any of you PCL experts can weigh-in as to whether this may be an Oakland Oaks (or, Acorns, as they were also known as) PCL pennant; or, just a generic city of Oakland, California souvenir pennant?

The tag reads "Newman Mfg. Co. / 883 Market St. / San Francisco ". I did some research on this manufacturer and found a listing for them in a 1922 San Francisco Chamber of Commerce directory; albeit, at a different address located just around the corner.

The pennant is a standard full size at 30" in length--so, it's not oversized like many from the early part of the century. But it is entirely sewn letter; and the style of the manufacturer's logo is very consistent with those from the turn of the century. I would therefore guess this pennant came from the 1910s.

I'm also aware that the San Francisco Seals and the Oaks/Acorns were owned by the same owner back in those days; and, as a result, played many of their home games in San Francisco at Recreation Park as early as 1907. They played there off and on through the early 1920s, in fact.

So, if this is an Oaks/Acorns pennant, that might explain why it was made by a San Francisco manufacturer.

I think their team colors were also blue/white back in the 1910s, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Anyway, penny for your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (19).jpg (16.9 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg image (20).jpg (20.0 KB, 473 views)