View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Not buying it

I hate the DH and I am similarly not in favor of this idea.

My biggest issue with the DH is that American League managers have to do so little managing during the game while NL managers have much tougher decisions to make to get through the ballgame. Last night's Dodgers/Pirates games is a perfect example. LA was ahead 2-1 in the bottom of the 6th with 2 outs and the bases loaded. Chad Billingsley's spot was due up. Don Mattingly had to make the tough decision to either leave the pitcher in and probably not get any runs in the inning or pinch hit for a pitcher who is having a great start and hope the bullpen can match what Billingsley was throwing. When the PH failed to bring in any runs it wasn't looking like a wise decision. Fortunately the Dodgers bullpen did their job and shut out Pittsburgh the rest of the way to preserve Billingsley's win.

To me this is what baseball is about and what I like. The ability to second guess the managers for the way they manage the game. In the AL this wouldn't have even come up for debate since the 9 hitter would have just taken his turn and the pitcher would have gone back out there in the top of the 7th.

Personally I have no issue watching an incapable pitcher taking his cuts at the plate. In fact it rewards teams that work with their pitchers to develop adequate skills in bunting and making contact to move runners. Also, the mere fact that the pitcher has to get into the batters box requires that he take some responsibility for his actions while on the mound.

I honestly don't buy into the arguments in favor of the DH but feel the Players Union would never agree to drop the DH rule because it would eliminate 14 (soon to be 15) high paying jobs for hitters who can't field.