View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 10:21 PM
Mark Arentsen

Default I was there Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
My dad just got back and said no deals to be had. People were paying more than the stuff was worth in most cases. He said someone paid 15K for a case of 1987 Fleer baseball & $2500 for a 1960 Topps baseball set in average condition. I think that says alot about what's going on there.
I was there Saturday and it was the 1984 Fleer Update case that went for $15K. Some big money was there buying what they could and yes, some of the cheaper cases went for a little higher-than-normal prices. Some deals could be had, but generally there was a lot of money in the room pushing up prices.

I thought the auction house ran a good, tight ship. The auction began at noon and ended at 9 pm. It took so long because of the aforementioned practice of auctioning and re-auctioning the individual items of a lot, such as autographed baseballs and the tons of unopened cases/partial cases. It would have gone much quicker to sell a lot 16 autographed baseballs for one money, but that wouldn't have maximized the income for both the consignor and auction house, of course.

I couldn't make it for today, Sunday. I suspect there was a similar pace to the auction today. I can't wait for Saturday September 16th! (I think.)