View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Hey Al that misprint Herrera rocks!

Admitted card whore here: I bid with PWCC and Probstein when the item is right. One bid via snipe. Won an item a few weeks ago from PWCC for substantially less than my snipe. Won a Probstein item the other day. also well below my max. Do I get shilled? Probably. Though it is far less likely with the items I go after (boxing cards). My competitors on the last several items I've won have been large feedback bidders with no retractions.

I think the shilling will ultimately hurt PWCC. It is gradually scaring away bidders. I know that for anything mainstream I would want from them I throw out a snipe well below market and let it play out. There are so many specimens of mainstream cards that there is no need to bid strong with PWCC. Another one will surface. Truthfully, the key is not to get invested emotionally in the outcome of the auction. It will drive you crazy otherwise.
A big +1! I have won some with PWCC that way and lost some (most recently the 1959 PSA 5 Bazooka Drysdale--top bid was around $1100-$1300 when I sniped it with 7 seconds left at $2450, only to lose the item when it virtually simultaneously went to $2475).

On the other hand, there are at least two printed catalog type AH's who will remain unnamed here that I would be extremely careful about placing maximum bids with. I have done that on several occasions with PWCC with complete confidence and never had a problem.

Best holiday wishes to all,

Larry