View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 09:55 AM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Interesting question and I do not have a real answer, just a guess that is similar to yours. George T. Oliver was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1909. Since 1890, residents of Pittsburgh wanted the "h" back. Senator Oliver is given credit as the main person responsible for getting the "h" added back in 1911. I have a feeling that his efforts were well known at the time as he was also a prominent Pittsburgh Newspaper owner too. I'm betting that George S. Ward, owner of the Ward Bakery (Tip-Top brand), who is also from Pittsburgh knew in 1910 that the "h" would be added back soon so the cards were printed that way. I'm also betting that Mr. Ward knew residents of Pittsburgh wanted the "h" back so he decided to add it to help sell his product. From what I can see, one card was included per loaf and you could also redeem 50 labels for the entire set. Maybe seeing the "h" in the spelling on the cards helped sell more bread in Pittsburgh in 1910 since I'm pretty sure it was known at the time that the spelling would be changing officially in 1911?

Anyways, those are just my "semi" educated guesses. Welcome to the board!

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***