View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Default Big problems in the hobby

Posted By: 1880nonsports

a fair and thought provoking question that I would like to add a little to.....
As an ex-teacher I believe that education must be predicated on selfless motives. Certainly kevin is not the problem with the hobby. I appreciate the specific information he provides as it relates to alterations. I have no idea what Kevin's motives are - but sometimes I too feel unfulfilled with allusions or suggestions relative to questions that are never answered. It's just a bit discomforting and distracting with the secret visits here - the secret submission there - the meetings with graders and respective companies that don't appreciate him or they love him - all when one is trying to absorb what he has to say about CARD ALTERATION detection. That is the particular problem "I" have with Kevin's posts. Often there is excellent and even "eye-opening" information in his posts. I support and I appreciate anything that helps me to make good decisions about my cards. Trickery and alterations of all kinds exist in any collectible genre - someone is always looking for a way to seperate you from your money. No denying that a small portion of graded cards & an even smaller number of holders have been compromised. My personal enjoyment of the hobby is lessened a bit when I have to grapple with the idea a card I own or am going to buy might have been altered. Maybe I'll sell such a card without knowing it's been altered and have to answer questions about my intent. I want to know what to look for. It may be a leap of faith but I believe most things ARE what they seem. I don't like looking for ghosts all the time. I hope you continue to share information - and that your good information (whatever the motivation) isn't obfuscated by the reader's supposition about your motivation or the possiblity of your having another agenda. Getting back to my initial point - a person whose motivations are clearly known and expressed - allows the focus to be on the idea and not the person........ Just my nickle.