View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Rick P

Jimmy, I've been thinking about your challenge question for a couple of days. I have to say I'm very comfortable with what I've chosen to collect. It's kept me entertained for over 40 years, and fortunately I never confused collecting with investing so I never took a beating when a market segment collapsed.

The one thing I would change, however, is the approach I followed to find the items I sought. I was a latecomer to ebay, and can't even imagine how many things I missed if I'd been paying attention earlier. I advertised in a few publications and attended conventions and antique shows, but I didn't take the time to travel the countryside and visit small towns and shops off the beaten path.

My biggest mistake, though, was not telling enough dealers what I was looking for. They knew I was a good customer and would regularly hold things for me - but by not making a stronger effort to educate them about the breadth of my interests, I missed out on some wonderful items.

The last couple of years have been among the most productive because I've adopted those strategies and tactics. Better late than never!

PS - That Beatles record is incredible.

Last edited by Oldtix; 10-03-2012 at 09:24 AM.